BAOR Locations

Did you serve here...
Welcome     Home     History of BAOR     Barracks     Locations     Canadian Inf Bde     Regiments/Brigades     What's New     Forum     Links      
Iserlohn Various

Some time between 1934 and 1936 the "Infanterie Kaserne am Seilersee” was erected and occupied by the  III. Batallion Infanterie Regiment 60. In 1937 this regiment was moved to Lüdenscheid. The Krad-Schützen Regiment (motorcycled infantry) moved to the Kaserne am Seilersee. On order of the OKH the Kaserne am Seilersee was renamed to Argonner Kaserne on 17 May 1938. There are only few notes about the times between 1938 and 1945, but the following troops were stationed in Iserlohn:

Infanterie Regiment 60 (s. a.)

Artillerie Regiment 60

Artillerie Regiment 16

Flak Regiment 24

Kavallerie Schützen Regiment 4

Schützen Ersatz Batallion 4

6. Panzerbrigade

Schützen Ersatz Regiment 57

Sanitäts Ersatz Abteilung 6

Flak Schwadron Ersatz Abteilung 29

 

The town of Iserlohn was handed to American Troops on 16 April 1945. Its capitulation can been attributed to the American threat of destroying the town in order to lessen Allied casualties. On 13 June 1945 the Americans opened the first meeting of the Iserlohner Bürgerausschuß (Citizens Council). First mayor after WWII in Iserlohn was chosen by the Military Government on 20 July 1945,  his name being Werner Jacobi. 

After the Allied Zones were established, the Americans departed and British troops arrived at Iserlohn (new information has turned up HERE).  A British brigade plus HQ was moved to Iserlohn and the camps at the Seilersee since then became the British Military Hospital of the British Rhine-Army. 

It took some time until the British troops allowed the printing of newspapers, so the first papers after WWII were printed in Iserlohn on 3 March 1946 (Westfälische Rundschau) and 26 April 1946 (Westfalenpost). Some other papers started in 1947 and 1948.

Herr Manfred Schmitt

Westbahnof.
Submitted by Herr Manfred Schmitt
 
Rathausplatz - circa 1950.
Submitted by Herr Manfred Schmitt
Wermingser
Submitted by Herr Manfred Schmitt
Above shows the market place and in the background the old fire station – they all changed around 1967, when Karstadt was erected in their place.
Submitted by Herr Manfred Schmitt  
 
 
 Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 Wermingser Straße, 1950's
 Submitted by Mr Terry Flanagan
 Wermingser Straße, 2005
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 Unnaer Straße as viewed from the Town Hall, circa 1950
Submitted by Mr Terry Flanagan
 Unnaer Straße as viewed from the Town Hall, May 2005
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 Stadtkirche 1957
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan 
 Stadt Kirche, May 2005
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 This building was used by the British Army of the 1950's as a YMCA. It had a book store, an army cafe (NAAFI) and classes were taught to army families such as German, crafts, sewing etc. A restaurant in 2005 called Bauerhaus, meaning Farmhouse.
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 Grenzhauser
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan 
Grenzhauser Cafe, 1957
 Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 
 
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
 
 
Courtesy of Mr Terry Flanagan
This is a 1960's Post Card of Sümmern Village. The rows of two-storey flats can be seen in the lower right of the picture. In this shot they look as though they had only just been built. In fact, just above the writing in the lower left of the picture is what appears to be Sümmern First School under construction which is the school I attended. The MQ's were located in Taigelbrand, Storm Strasse and Augustin-Wibbelt Strasse.
We occupied these MQ's when the Regiment was relocated to Iserlohn after the Canadians moved out in 1970. My father was stationed at Corunna Barracks.
Courtesy of Mr Mick Hughes.

 

Another view of the village but without the MQ's. They would be to the right just out of shot.
Courtesy of Mr Mick Hughes
 
 
Former MQ's on Oberhoff Straße - 2008
Courtesy of Malcolm Austin
Former MQ's on Händelstraße. The one of Händelstraße has greatly changed from our time there. They were brand new, no trees.
Courtesy of Malcolm Austin