BAOR Locations

Did you serve here...
Welcome     Home     History of BAOR     Barracks     Locations     Canadian Inf Bde     Regiments/Brigades     What's New     Forum     Links      
Canadian Infantry Brigade
British Army of the Rhine  1951-1971
Outline Deployment 
 
Background-1945-46

The Canadian First Army, including British Formations and contingents from the Free Belgian, Czech, Dutch and Polish Forces had played an important role in the Allied Advance across North West Europe from Normandy to the German Surrender in May 1945. The Canadian 3rd Division was responsible for the final capture of the German Forces in the areas known as Emsland and Friesland in the north west corner of Germany and part of the future British Zone of Occupation.
It was a Canadian Government priority to return their personnel back to their homeland as quickly as possible for demobilisation and civilian life rather than retain troops in Germany as part of any long term Occupying Force. 3rd Canadian Division was therefore retitled Canadian Army Occupation Force (CAOF) with initially three subordinate Brigades but continually reducing in size and responsibility as drafts of men returned to Canada though in some cases being temporarily replaced by men of lower priority from the remaining Canadian Forces in Italy. Operational responsibility was handed over in March 1946 and the last Canadian left Germany in May 1946
Units known to have been part of CAOF included:
17th Duke of York’s Canadian Hussars (armour), Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa,
Regiment de la Chaudiere, Royal Regina Rifles, Royal Winnipeg Rifles and the North Nova Scotia Highlanders (all infantry) plus four Royal Canadian Artillery Regiments

1951-1953

27 Canadian Infantry Brigade was the first Canadian contribution to the NATO Alliance and the defence of Western Europe to be permanently based in Germany, It was principally a volunteer formation recruited from units of the Canadian Militia. The three composite Infantry Battalions were known as 1st Canadian Highland Battalion, 1st Canadian Rifle Battalion and 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion. C Sqn RCD, 79 Field Regiment RCA and 58 Independent Squadron RCE were also deployed. The Brigade was temporarily based in the Hannover area between December 1951 and Autumn 1953 pending completion of the new purpose built accommodation in the Soest area. The majority of the units, including the Brigade Headquarters, were based in London Barracks Hannover, the Armoured Squadron (equipped with British Centurion (Mark 3) tanks) and Artillery Regiment at Chatham Barracks Langenhagen (adjacent to the airfield) and the Sapper Squadron in Hameln.
In addition a small Headquarters was established in Antwerp with the task of facilitating the movement by sea of freight and other stores through the nearby docks to and from Canada to and from the Operational Units. This together with associated logistic units became known as Headquarters Canadian Base Units Europe (HQ CBUE)
 

Temporary Pass for Fort Prince of Wales, Deilinghofen.

Courtesy of John O'Meara

 
1953-1971

In Autumn 1953 the Brigade moved to the newly completed, purpose built accommodation in the Soest, Hemer, Werl area of the northern Sauerland immediately northeast of the Industrial Ruhr. Initially complete Brigades of the Canadian Army Regular Division served two year tours in the area. However in 1959 the reinforcement policy changed and 4 Canadian Infantry Brigade Group was permanently assigned to the task with the major units rotating on three year tours.
 YearFormation

Fort Prince

of Wales

 

Hemer

Artillery Regiment

Fort
MacLeod

Hemer

Infantry Battalion
Fort
York

Soest

Infantry Battalion
Fort
Chambly

Soest

Service Units
Fort
St Louis

Werl

Infantry Battalion
Fort
Beausejour

Iserlohn

Armoured Regiment

1953-55
1955-57
1957-59
1959-62
1960-64
1962-65
1964-67
1965
1966
1967

 A
B

C






D
 

2 RCHA
4 RCHA
1 RCHA

3 RCHA

2 RCHA


1 RCHA
 
 2 PPCLI
1 PPCLI
2 QORofC

1 QORofC

1 PPCLI

2 PPCLI

2 RCR
1 RCR
2 Cdn Gds

1 Cdn Gds

1 RCR

2 RCR


 

 

 

Bde

Recce

Sqn

RCASC
RCOC
RCEME

 

2 R22eR
1 R22e R
3 RCR


2 RHC

2 R22eR

1 R22eR

 

RCD


FGH

LdSH

 

 

 

The outline deployment was:
Brigade Headquarters Fort Henry Soest
Engineer Regiment Fort Victoria Werl
Field Ambulance Fort St Anne Werl

Personnel were trickle posted to and from the Engineer Regiment based in Fort Victoria and Service Units permanently based in Fort Chambly.

In addition Canadian Medical personnel were also based in BMH Iserlohn.

Following the departure of 4CMBG to Lahr in 1971 the majority of the Canadian Forts/Barracks were occupied by elements of the newly arrived 3rd (UK) Armoured Division, and 6 Armoured Brigade in particular, following the restructuring of 1st (British) Corps.
 
For additional information on the political and military factors and the deployment options considered by the Canadian Government prior to the initial move of Canadian Forces to Europe in 1951 click here.
 
Click here for listings of the Canadian Forts.
 
Notes
A 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade
B 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade
C 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade
D Retitled 4th Canadian Mechanised Brigade Group September 1968
Unit Abbreviations
FGH Fort Garry Horse
Ld SH Lord Strathcona’s Horse
RCD Royal Canadian Dragoons
RCHA Royal Canadian Horse Artillery
RCA Royal Canadian Artillery
RCE Royal Canadian Engineers
Cdn Gds The Canadian Guards
PPCLI Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry
QOR of C The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada
RCR Royal Canadian Regiment
RHC The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment of Canada)
R22eR Le Royal 22eme Regiment – Francophone Regiment recruited in the Province of Quebec
RCASC Royal Canadian Army Service Corps
RCOC Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps
RCEME Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
Engineer Regiment Fort Victoria Werl
Field Ambulance Fort St Anne Werl
Personnel were trickle posted to and from the Engineer Regiment based in Fort Victoria and Service Units permanently based in Fort Chambly.
In addition Canadian Medical personnel were also based in BMH Iserlohn-
Following the departure of 4CMBG to Lahr in 1971 the majority of the Camadian Forts/Barracks were occupied by elements of the newly arrived 3rd (UK) Armoured Division, and 6 Armoured Brigade in particular, following the restructuring of 1st (British) Corps.
 
 
PJW
 
A Canadian critique that clearly outlines the damaging affects of internal Francophone politics on the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the formation after it left the former 1st British Corps area can be found here. Written in 2007, BAOR Locations acknowledges the authors of the critique.