BAOR Locations

Did you serve here...
Welcome     Home     History of BAOR     Barracks     Locations     Canadian Inf Bde     Regiments/Brigades     What's New     Forum     Links      
Yorkshire Barracks
 
A Luftflottenkommando or headquarters for Luftwaffe Gruppe II was built in Braunschweig in 1937-38. After the war the complex was used by the British Forces as Yorkshire Barracks, and is now a school and government office building (Grünewaldstraße 16-20).

 

 

Luftflottenkommando or headquarters for Luftwaffe Gruppe II

Courtesy of Soprano


Braunschweig 1955. Four out of five cars are VW Beetles.
Courtesy of Sgt Ed Cooper, REME
 
Braunschweig did not have any British Military Units stationed there but there were some quarters for the resident unit in Wolfenbuttel (Normally recce Battalions) and also for the unit at Langeleben (225 Signal Squadron, later 1 Sqn 14 Sig Regt)) see their site (Langeleben Reunion) similar to BVA site. There were about 10 Officers' Quarters and about 30 other ranks, normally occupied by SNCOs. There was probably one unit there (about 3 personnel) that was the RTOs office for the Military train to Berlin which left from a platform at Braunschweig station.