BAOR Locations

Did you serve here...
Welcome     Home     History of BAOR     Barracks     Locations     Canadian Inf Bde     Regiments/Brigades     What's New     Forum     Links      
Roy Barracks
 
14 Field Survey Sqn RE were relocated Roy Barracks Ratingen in 1964, together with 3 Army Field Survey Depot RE. The barracks were renamed on arrival after Major General William Roy , who was the developer of ordnance survey. The Barracks was also home to the District Court Martial Center and MFO (Main). 14 Field Survey Sqn RE renamed to 14 Independant Topographic Sqn RE  moved out in 1995 (about May/Jun time).  Closed in 1995.
 
Entrance to Roy Barracks, 1964. A Bedford RL can be seen leaving with one following. Attached looks to be a towed generator.
Courtesy of Mr Nick Carter
 
British Barracks Bombed in West Germany

Published: August 6, 1988

LEAD: A bomb exploded at a British Army barracks here today, injuring three soldiers and a civilian and tearing off part of the roof, a military spokesman said.  A bomb exploded at a British Army barracks here today, injuring three soldiers and a civilian and tearing off part of the roof, a military spokesman said.

A British Army spokesman, Colin Tavner, said the wounded were treated for cuts and bruises and released. He said no arrests had been made but added that the West German police were investigating.  There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but a spokesman for the federal prosecutor said the Irish Republican Army was suspected.  ''The time and the target of the bombing indicate that the I.R.A. may have been involved,'' said the spokesman, Hans-Jurgen Forster. He said the federal prosecutor's office, which usually investigates terrorist attacks, had taken over the inquiry.

The bombing comes amid a wave of attacks on British targets by the I.R.A., which is fighting to end British rule in Northern Ireland.  The I.R.A. killed four members of Britain's security forces this week -three in attacks in Northern Ireland and one in the bombing of an army barracks in North London. Forty-two people were injured in those attacks.  The state government of North Rhine-Westphalia said five people, not four, were injured in the attack on the Roy Barracks in Dusseldorf.  Ludiger Harmeier, a spokesman for the state Interior Ministry, said witnesses told the police they saw two cars speeding away from the site of the blast. He said authorities launched an immediate search for the two vehicles.  The I.R.A. took responsibility for planting two powerful bombs that wounded nine British soldiers at an army barracks in Duisburg, near Dusseldorf, on July 13.