BAOR Locations

Did you serve here...
Welcome     Home     History of BAOR     Barracks     Locations     Canadian Inf Bde     Regiments/Brigades     What's New     Forum     Links      
Written by VMC Longyear, further details of this informative book can be found at the bottom of this page. (1)
 
HMS Royal Rupert and Prince Rupert School
Originally a Kriegsmarine (German equivalent of the Royal Navy) submarine base for two training flotillas, up until the end of the Second World War. It then went on to become HMS Royal Rupert until 1 July 1947 when Prince Rupert School became the new occupants.
 
This occupancy would last a quarter of a century before a purpose built school, retaining the Prince Rupert name, was opened at Rinteln in 1972. This school still provides education to the children of BFG to this date.
 
 
Hitler aboard Scharnhorst moored at Fliegerdeich, which later was the site for some PRS boarding houses. 
Unknown date.
Courtesy of Mr John Leggett

 

An Unterwasserboat moored just outside the site that would become Prince Rupert School.  Unfortunately its number cannot be seen. The area in the background what was to become the Prince Rupert School Main site
Courtesy of Mr John Leggett
 
MTBs moored at the Bonteheim, later to become boarding houses for PRS.
Courtesy of Mr John Leggett
Men of the Kriegsmarine enjoying what appears to be a warm day and a cold drink.
This later became Nelson block, the PRS main site dining room
Courtesy of Mr John Leggett
 
  
The arrival of the Royal Navy. An eagle can be seen perched above the doorway of the right hand photograph.
Courtesy of Mr John Leggett
 
Courtesy of Mr John Leggett
 
Courtesy of Mr John Leggett
 
(1) The Creation of a Boarding School for Service Families in a Post-War Germany was written in 2006 by VMC Longyear when the type written notes of the first Headmaster came to light. The notes revealed how the concept of the school was arrived at and provided a record of the difficulties of the first year or two. The book was produced with the costs underwritten by a few ex-pupils of the original 70 who started the school, should it not sell. The book sold out within a month to the ex-pupils at cost and is now out of print.
It is mainly of interest as it documents the creation of the first Co-educational, comprehensive, boarding school under the 1944 Education Act. The school was created to meet the demand of service families who were reunited in 1946 through Operation Reunion.
 
Copies are now held in the Imperial War Museum and the Institution of Education, London University.