BAOR Locations

Did you serve here...
Welcome     Home     History of BAOR     Barracks     Locations     Canadian Inf Bde     Regiments/Brigades     What's New     Forum     Links      
Lumsden Barracks
 
Built - 1935
Type - Wehrmacht temporary accommodation camp
Original Name -
Lumsden Barracks named after Lieutenant General Herbert Lumsden CB DSO MC (1897–1945), one of the “Desert Generals” who commanded X Corps 8th Army in the Second Battle of El Alamein under General Bernard Law Montgomery.
Home to:

4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards Jun 1954-Oct 1959 (1)
3rd  Royal Tank Regiment 1965-1967 (2)
3rd  Royal Tank Regiment 1971-Oct 1976 (3)
16th/5th The Queen's Royal
Lancers 1967-1971 (4)
4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards Oct 1976 to Feb 1981 (5)
The Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales's Own)  Feb 1981-Nov 1988
The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys) 1988-1991(6)
2nd Royal Tank Regiment 1992-2007 (7)
1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers 2007 - 2009 (8)
  3rd Battalion The Mercian Regiment (Staffords) 2009 - present
 
 
(1) Details supplied by RDG Museum.
(2) Departing for Tidworth.
(3) Arriving in 1971 from  Northampton Barracks, Wolfenbüttel.
(4) Leaving for Lisanelly Barracks, Omagh taking over from 17/21st Lancers.
(5) RDG Museum give March 1981 as leaving Lumsden Barracks.
(6) Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet, OBE served with The Royal Scots Greys during this time.
(7) The Regiment returned to Germany after two years in Catterick as a RAC Training Regiment. They have now left for Tidworth as part of 1 Mech Bde.
(8) Arriving from Trenchard Barracks, Celle.
.