BAOR Locations

Did you serve here...
Welcome     Home     History of BAOR     Barracks     Locations     Canadian Inf Bde     Regiments/Brigades     What's New     Forum     Links      
Keightley Barracks
 
Named after General Sir Charles Frederic Keightley, GCB, GBE, DSO (24 June 1901 – 17 June 1974) was a senior officer in the British Army during and following World War II.
 
Home to:
 
1st Battalion The Royal Scots Fusiliers 1951-1952
2nd Battalion The Durham Light Infantry 1952-1955 (1) 
1st Battalion The Buffs (Royal East Kents) 1955-1957
1st Battalion The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire) 1960-1962
The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire 1962-1964
 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards 1964
Handed over to the Bundeswehr in 1968
 
(1) Part of 6 Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. Left Wuppertal in June 1955 having completed three year tour. Original plan was to go to Kenya (Mau Mau uprising). Second battalions had been reformed in 1952 to seven infantry regiments to meet extra commitments (Korea, Malaya etc), but by 1955 were to be stood down again. 2 DLI therefore returned to the Regimental Depot at Brancepeth, County Durham to go into "suspended animation". To see images taken whilst in Wuppertal click here